Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Deep Thoughts

I am supposedly a writer now, so since I can't seem to get myself organized professionally lately, I at least want to get myself writing every day while I get my act together. I figure it might as well sometimes be an entry on my bloggy blog.

Things on my mind lately:

It is hilarious that the social network that characters use on One Life to Live is called "MyFace." LOL!

The Maybelline model whose mouth really irritatingly never closes. Her name is Emily DiDonato and they've allowed her to speak in a couple recent commercials, and her voice surprisingly isn't airheadish at all. That makes her bother me less, but she really needs to stop mouthbreathing.

Justin Bieber. Why are not just two-year-olds, or nine-year-olds, or fifteen-year-olds, but also grown women, in love with this sixteen-year-old who looks like he's fourteen? I don't mean motherly or grandmotherly "Lemme pinch your cheeks!" love, but college-age young women squealing and crying during his recent surprise new-haircut appearance on Ellen. I read the March 3 Rolling Stone cover story on him today and in it, writer Vanessa Grigoriadis--who is my age, 37--says the Bieber is her pop-culture crush and calls him "sensual" at the start of the article before she meets him and sees that he is plainly still a "child." My questions are: 1) Why don't these women feel creepy? 2) Am I the only woman in the world who can see that he hardly looks pubescent? and 3) How in the world is barely adolescent hot? Ew. Besides, even if he were a young-looking 21-year-old, I don't think he's anywhere near good-looking enough to warrant the spazziness he's inspiring. He's no John Taylor. He's no Damian Kulash. Weird. The new issue of Rolling Stone discusses the puzzling popularity of Snooki & Jersey Shore--I find Justin Bieber's popularity among people over twelve years old just as odd.

More seriously ... Over the weekend, at least 300 buildings were burned down by militia linked to the Khartoum government in the Abyei region of Sudan, about two-thirds of which were civilian dwellings; and at least 92 people were killed in clashes between south Sudan troops & rebel militias. Article here. South Sudan voted to secede a couple months ago, and the new country will be officially born in July of this year. Abyei is the disputed border region between north & south Sudan, and border demarcation is going on now or starting soon (more info). So now killing has begun there again. What is the point of that? Hopefully the UN can actually do something about it. I often wonder what the point of the United Nations even is, since a genocide can go on for years without the rest of the world actually putting a stop to it. Please go here to try to do something about the violence.

Bye-bye, buy bonds--
Pants

4 comments:

  1. The fact that anyone any age likes Justin Bieber is creepy.

    Luckily I don't watch enough TV to have been tormented by MouthGirl but yeah, just that pic makes me want to smack her under the chin.

    Mom was here today and we watched a bit of General Hospital. Wow. It's been far too long since I've watched soaps. I'd kinda like to get back into it actually. I saw Luke, and Robin. Wheeee!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha re: Bieber ;D And Mouthy.

    Lol about the soap watching & Luke & Robin :D It's gotta be a trip for you compared to me since I had my GH phase in the intervening years since we both watched. I don't know what it is about daytime TV, but I like having it on even if I'm not paying any attention. There's something about the sounds of not only the soaps but the types of advertisements that run during daytime that is ... I guess "comforting" is the word I'd use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amusing how much my two "tweener" boys fear The Bieber. They feel they have to go into convulsive fits of indignation at any mention of his name. Otherwise someone might just take there silence as an indication that they like him and his music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious. I guess I'd rather see offspring protest too much than be pro-Bieber, judgmental as that may be.

    ReplyDelete