Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hot Tracks

Heads Will Roll Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Back and sassy. I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I sure like this. "Off with your head/Dance till you're dead": a killer disco-ey dance track with a great, dark electronic groove.

The Great Defector Bell X1
What a three-way between the Talking Heads, Soft Cell, and Sufjan Stevens would sound like. Orgasmic!

The Fear Lily Allen
Pop perfection + satire of the E! Network set = a fantastic song that feels like spring & summer.

Sometime Around Midnight Airborne Toxic Event
Adam from U2 likes them and recommended them on U2's recent "radio takeover" hosted by Shirley Manson of Garbage (who has become an actress. She's on that Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles show or whatever it is. Weird.) The song starts off slow but builds big, and it has this great line: "You just have to see her to know that she'll break you in two." Wow. Check them out. Listen loud.

I'm Falling Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3
The verses have a nice, easy feel to them, and the more rousing "Take it away" chorus is great.

What Are You Like Indigo Girls
Good, happy tune about how nice it is to have someone who knows you better than you know yourself. Aww.

Crap
Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
I don't understand why this song is such a hit and everyone's crazy about Kings of Leon. This is one of the dumbest songs I've ever heard, and I hate how Caleb Followill sings in general. If the song were even slightly sexy, I'd feel differently, but it's just stupid, Followill's singing is irritating, the guitar during the chorus makes my skin crawl, and the lines "Your sex is on fire/Consumed with what's to transpire" make me want to never have sex again. The ironic thing is that Followill didn't even like the song when he started writing it. He thought it was "terrible," but the other guys encouraged him to keep going. Follow your gut, songwriters everywhere ...

6 comments:

  1. I said it in text message, and I'll remind you again here... Sex on Fire is probably Iowa's #1 song, probably prom theme there, and probably the most popular wedding song this year for them. You will hear it wherever you go when you move. When you are grocery shopping for corn, or standing in line at the pharmacy, you will hear the easy listening version of it. Kings of Leon are probably state heroes and every parade your new hometown has will be Sex on Fire themed.

    You cannot escape it.
    Learn to embrace it.

    (Wow, I'm a poet now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go down fighting. Wow, what I just wrote is sexier than that song.

    Maybe I'll write my own version called "My Ass Is on Fire." Where's Weird Al???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I totaly agree with you about Kings that album sucks the production is horrible and the content isn't worth bothering with. Thank God for Lily Allen I am completely obsessed with here. The Fear is and amazing song and the album is pure magic... I can't stop listening to it. The Indigo Girls new album is also amazing and I agree with you about Whar Are You Like? I puchased the deluxe version of the album that came with a second disk of the album in acoustic sets it cool to have two different takes of every song. I actually prefer the acoustic version of What Are You Like? I'll check out Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the rest and let you know what I think. You should try to find Ladyhawke. She is from New Zealand and she released her debut album last year (Unfortuately not in the US) It is my favorite album from last year I can' stop listening to it. I got it last October and I still listen to the whole thing at leaste once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I should hit preview I now see my typo's I hate that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so I purchased It's Blitz! by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs While I do enjoy Heads Will Roll and Zero the rest of the album is a bit mellow for me. It's good just wish it were a bit more upbeat. The production is great and lyrical content interesting... a few great remixes would be helpful with some of the more mid-tempo tracks.

    ReplyDelete